Tinnitus is one of the most common health conditions in this country, and the symptoms that are associated with this condition alone are enough to make a person crazy. When a person perceives sound that has no external source they are considered to have this condition. Tinnitus sufferers often hear ringing, chirping, clicking, buzzing, whistling, or hissing in their ears. Unfortunately, over 50 million Americans experience tinnitus according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and for some of these people, their symptoms are debilitating. So much so, suicidal tendencies and depression are a common theme among sufferers.
While there is no known cure for tinnitus, there are steps you can take to help alleviate the symptoms so you can live a normal life. Learn how to deal with tinnitus symptoms by checking out these helpful tips:
• Have white noise playing in the background to help drown out the sounds in your head. You could invest in a white noise machine, or use some of your household items to help.
• Try out alternative remedies such as yoga, acupuncture, qi gong and tai chi. Many people have tried these alternative therapies with much success.
• Limit your stress level and try to stay calm. If you are always worried and stressed, this can exacerbate your tinnitus symptoms.
• In certain cases hearing aids can ‘treat’ tinnitus by amplifying the noise around you. Talk to your doctor about this method to see if it’s right for you.
• Talk to your doctor about Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT) if your tinnitus persists and cannot be masked. Tinnitus Retraining Therapy can help you with the coping process.
• If tinnitus is making you stressed, depressed, or suicidal, talk to someone. Remember, there is nothing wrong with seeking help when you are having a hard time coping.
• Make sure you are not overworking yourself. Getting adequate rest each night and avoiding fatigue is necessary. Otherwise, you run the risk of exacerbating your symptoms.
• Avoid overstimulating your nervous system by avoiding stimulates such as alcohol, coffee, tea, soda, and tobacco.
• Live a healthy lifestyle by exercising and eating a healthy diet. Having a healthy mind and body will improve your well-being, and may also help with your tinnitus symptoms.