How to Take Care of Your Hearing Aids in the Summer Heat
If you want your hearing aid to perform its best, a little tender loving care goes a long way. Especially during the warmer months, since additional challenges are often present due to the heat and humidity. It’s important to keep your hearing aids in tip-top shape if you expect to get a long life out of them, so learning how to properly take care of your hearing aids in the summer heat is crucial. Hearing aids play an essential role in keeping you active, engaged, and connected to the world, so you must keep your hearing aids in good working order.
Protecting your hearing aids in the summer is a necessity if you want to extend the life of your device. During the summer, it’s normal for your hearing aids to need some extra TLC, so check out some of the ways you can protect your device from the summer heat.
• Hearing aids and water do not mix, so do not jump into the pool or ocean with your hearing aids in. Water submersion can destroy your device, so be sure to remove your hearing aids before you jump in the pool, or take a shower.
• Moisture is not friendly to hearing aids since it can affect the device’s performance. Moisture trapped within the battery compartment can corrode and destroy the electrical components within the device, so at night keep the battery door open so any built-up moisture can clear out.
• Getting a dehumidifier for your hearing aid is recommended since it can help keep moisture out of your device. These dry and store units are also a safe place to keep your hearing aids when they are not being worn and can help prevent damage from occurring.
• If you are not able to get a dehumidifier box, you can still keep your valuables safe by storing them in an area that has minimal temperature changes. High and low temperatures and temperatures that fluctuate can drain your battery.
• Your hearing aid is mainly comprised of electronic components and is made with plastic, and both are very sensitive to high heat. If you happen to take out your hearing aid while outdoors, make sure you protect them from the sun to prevent damage.
• Putting on sunscreen during the summer is the right thing to do. However, putting sunscreen on your hearing aid is something you want to avoid doing. The oils found in the sunscreen can damage your hearing aids, so be careful when applying sunscreen to your face.