With Halloween around the corner, this is the time of year that one’s sweet tooth kicks into high gear. However, before you go and down a handful of candy, did you know that dark chocolate is good for your hearing health? Dark chocolate that is at least 70% cocoa features an abundance of antioxidants, magnesium, and zinc, which helps boost the immune system, protects against hearing loss and can help guard against ear infections. Luckily, there are many ways to enjoy this delicious treat, while doing your part to help protect yourself against hearing loss. However, it is important to remember that while there are benefits of adding moderate amounts of dark chocolate to your diet, balance is key. So when you find yourself reaching for some dark chocolate, make sure it is high-quality, is 70% or higher, and look for a bar that doesn’t contain a lot of other unnecessary ingredients.
Another option is to take dark chocolate and make it into a ‘healthy’ snack, in order to bring some balance to the dish. Need some inspiration? Check out this delicious recipe that you can make in a jiffy! Take advantage of the sweet and creamy nature of avocados, as they add a good dose of anti-inflammatory nutrients and Vitamin E to the mix to help protect your ears from free radical damage.
Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse Recipe
• 2 large avocados or 4 small ones
• 2 Tbsp raw organic cacao (cocoa) powder
• ½ bar of high-quality dark chocolate (at least 70% dark – the higher, the better!)
• 2-3 pitted dates
• ¼ cup of your choice of milk alternative (almond, coconut, etc.)
• ½ tsp of organic vanilla extract
1. Using the double boil method, melt down the chocolate bar.
2. Combine the melted chocolate with your other liquid ingredients, and mix well.
3. Cut open the avocados, remove the skin and the pits.
4. In a food processor or a high-speed blender, combine the avocado flesh, dates, and the cocoa (cacao) powder along with your wet ingredients and mix well.
5. Blend until smooth and creamy.
6. Put the mousse in the refrigerator if you would like it chilled before consumption. Otherwise, it can be enjoyed immediately.
7. Spoon some into a bowl or cup. You can garnish with toppings of your choice.
8. Store any remaining mousse in the refrigerator.